This comprehensive book covers subjects such as mycology; redox reactions; mass and energy balances; downstream processing; fermentation substrates and design of industrial plants. All the authors are still active in the field and come from both industrial and academic backgrounds. Undergraduates and postgraduates studying industrial microbiology, biotechnology or biochemical engineering, or those wishing to pursue careers in the biotechnological industry will find this a comprehensive, accessible and definitive resource. It will also provide a useful reference for researchers and managers in the industry.
1. A Brief Introduction to Citric Acid Biotechnology Michael Mattey and Bjorn Kristiansen
2. Biochemistry of Citric Acid Accumulation by Aspergillus niger Markus Wolschek and Christian Kubicek
3. Biochemistry of Citric Acid Production by Yeasts Michael Mattey
4. Strain Improvement George Ruijter and Jaap Visser
5. Fungal Morphology Maria Papagianni
6. Redox Potential in Submerged Citric Acid Fermentation Marin Berovic
7. Modelling the Fermentation Process Frank Wayman, Ho Ai Meng amy and Bjorn Kristiansen
8. Mass and Energy Balance Liliana Krzystek and Staniskaw Ledakowicz
9. Downstream Processing in Citric Acid Production Pawel Gluszcz and Stanislaw Ledakowicz
10. Fermentation Substrates Wladyslaw Lesniak
11. Design of an Industrial Plant Jacobus Van Der Merwe.